Understanding Design And Construction
Many people who are at the beginning of their process of planning for a custom home project benefit from understanding the components of the process. The costs below are only an average of typical projects and will include the following:
Design and Engineering
- Good planning and design adds value. Good planning, creative design, co-ordinated trades, integrating the home, to the land all make for a home of lasting value. These are some of the pieces of that work:
- Septic & well: $30,000 - $45,000 (if needed)
- Storm water management, piping, & erosion control $30,000 - $100,000 for new homes, $5,000 to $20,000 for additions between 500 sf and ~ 1500 sf. SWM is almost always required over these sizes
- Utilities, site work, grading, paving: $50,000 - $100,000. :New home, not including long driveway, terraces, decks, pools, landscaping.
- Engineering: (for the above): surveyors plan including topo, existing features, utilities, easements, zoning information, Percolation test (one each for septic if no public sewer and for storm water structure) , Septic design (if needed), Architectural design, structural engineering, lighting, cabinetry, furniture layout, $20 /sf to $30/sf
- Renovations and additions: Some or all of the services above will be required.
- Comparing fees: here is a link to information from an outside source
- Construction of Structure, New Home: $175 / sf (nice basic custom) to $300 to $400 / sf (fully custom design and detailing) custom level design and features.
- Renovations and additions: vary with the type of room, from $150/sf ~$200 / sf for a nicely trimmed simple (higher for special features) spaces to ~ $400-$600 / sf for kitchens and bathrooms. Renovations will include site restoration, storm water management and tend to involve adjacent spaces which will increase the scope of the work. Cost / sf analogies may not be appropriate for renovations but may indicate probable costs.
- Building Permits: 2% to 3% of the costs of construction.
- Understanding Construction Costs: Here is information on construction costs from an outside source.
- Expect a good building lot, with all required approvals and improvements to cost about one quarter of the market value of a home. Individual large lots will start at $90,000 / acre , varying with location, availability and desirability. These costs will vary widely based on supply and demand, and location.
- Zoning, Site Analysis. Assure that any land considered for a project is able to be developed for the use you intend. We recommend working with clients during land acquisition if possible.
- "Custom" means just that. If these costs fit with your expectations, let's talk further