The green roof is an important part of the design. The ceiling of the fellowship hall below this sweeps up to wooded views beyond (seen in the third image linked here). The green roof will have fall color, flowers in the spring in addition to the greenery it provides. An irrigation system is part of the installation to assure that it thrives. Design benefits and considerations are included in text in the video below.
Benefits of a green roof:
- Reduce heating and cooling costs
- Extend the life of the roof membrane by 2x ‐ 3x
- Provide on‐site storm water management
- Increase rents/decrease turnover in commercial buildings
- Provide Habitat and Reduce Urban Heat Island effects